The owner of Uig Lodge Dickon Green on the isle of Lewis was rushed into hospital after accidentally hovering up deadly cyanide which had been found stored in an old outbuilding which was being renovated. It is understood that the property owner was using a vacuum cleaner to try and shrink wrap the tin in a plastic bag ready for safe disposal. The tin opened and the powder was blown into the air by the cleaner. The deadly poison then shot through the cleaner and came out the other end in a cloud of dust which showered businessman Dickon Green with deadly cyanide powder.
Officers from the Northern Constabulary were called to the private lodge in Timsgarry at about 19:20 on Wednesday.
Subsequently Dickon Green and one employee working for Mr Green received emergency treatment for suspected cyanide poisoning after ingesting some of the deadly poison.
Police said the noxious substance had being used for pest control at a private lodge in Timsgarry, Isle of Lewis.
It is being reported Mr. Green had found the tin of cyanide in an old outbuilding which he suspected had been left there by the previous owner who had used the poison for exterminating rats. It is accepted Mr. Green had attempted but had failed to get the cooperation of the local agency who he had asked to take responsibility for the cyanides safe disposal. Mr Green did eventually manage to find a company on the mainland who agreed to destroy the poison, but he was required to transport the cyanide from Lewis to the mainland himself we are advised.
Two female paramedics who treated the pair have also been decontaminated in hospital after the incident at Uig Lodge on the west side of Lewis. All four people involved in the incident have now been released from hospital. There is not believed to be any further risk to the public”
The alarm was raised when one of the men – understood to be the lodge’s owner Mr. Green – accidentally dislodged the lid on the tin, which was thought to have contained the poison in a powder form. Mr Green tried to get help at the local GP’s surgery but it was shut, and a friend concerned for his health started to drive the man to hospital in Stornoway. However, their car was intercepted by police and a roadside decontamination unit was set up.
However, the main decontamination involved the men being ordered to take their clothes off and being hosed down by firefighters. Part of the main route from Stornoway to the west side of the island, between Cameron Terrace and Achmore, was closed for a time.
The men were then taken to the Western Isles Hospital in Stornoway where they and the paramedics were decontaminated.
A spokesman for Northern Constabulary said: “The incident has involved a number of agencies working together and there is not believed to be any further risk to the public.”
Firefighters are carrying out an assessment of the property where the incident occurred to ensure the area is completely safe.
Raptor Politics has received first hand information which we now accept clears Mr. Green of any and all wrong doing. It does appear from what we are now being told, see comment from a friend and neighbour, that Mr. Green made all reasonable efforts to contact all the right agencies asking them to help with the safe removal and disposal of the cyanide he had found at his property, but was let down by those agencies he contacted.